London Euston Station (also known as Euston Railway Station) is the sixth-busiest in Britain, the busiest passenger route in the nation and processes over 71 million passengers each year.
It’s also the terminus of the West Coast Mainline, London’s first intercity station and the country’s busiest intercity passenger terminal, connecting the capital to Scotland, North Wales, North West England and the West Midlands.
You wouldn’t guess from its current architecture, but Euston Station was originally opened way back in 1837 – it was totally transformed when the West Coast Mainline was electrified in the 1960s.
The genesis of the idea to construct a station here occurred in 1833, when the government granted The London & Birmingham Railway permission to build a line between the two major cities. By 1835, chief engineer Robert Stephenson had authorisation to build the terminus at Euston Square and built a straightforward shed with one platform for arrivals, one for departures and adjacent tracks for keeping carriages not in use. The stations’ aesthetic appeal was subsequently enhanced when an impressive Doric Arch gateway designed by Philip Hardwick, was added at the site entrance. The first intercity journey from Euston was made in 1838 between London and Birmingham, and a rail legacy that lasts to this day was born.
Renting a car at London Euston Station is simple with Enjoy Car Hire, but the following information on the facilities, amenities and nearby attractions might prove useful:
- The Station is open from 4:30AM to 1:34AM Monday to Saturday, 4:30AM to 2AM on Saturdays and 5:15AM to 1:34AM on Sundays.
- Call 03457 11 41 41 for general station enquiries and 03457 48 49 50 for travel and ticket information.
- The main ticket office is next to the Western Entrance and the secondary ticket office is located at the bottom of the ramp to platforms 8-11, but there are several ticket machines throughout the complex.
- You’ll find toilets and baby changing facilities past the ramp to platforms 1-3 and Radar keys for accessible toilets are available from the mobility assistance reception or any member of the cleaning staff.
- There are lots of interesting things to keep you entertained in and around Euston Station – including cafes and restaurants like Caffe Nero and Nando’s, retailers like WH Smith and Timpson and cultural attractions like the British Museum and the Charles Dickens Museum.
Car Hire Operators At London Euston Station
Enjoy Car Hire can arrange the perfect car hire package from London Euston – in a couple of clicks you can pick the ideal vehicle for your onward journey and enjoy the peace of mind the come with knowing that it will be there waiting for you to hop in and start your adventure.
- There are several operators, but Green Motion Car and Van rental is a particularly good choice if you appreciate an eco-friendly operator.
- You can choose anything from a compact Toyota IQ which is perfect for nipping around city streets, to a sturdy and roomy Volvo V60, which has plenty of space for an extended road trip throughout the UK.
Rent a car at London Euston Station with Enjoy Car Hire and your Great British Adventure awaits!
Other popular London train stations
- London Kings Cross
- London Streatham
- London Waterloo
- London Liverpool Street
- London Paddington
- London Victoria
- London Kennington
- London Euston
- London Bridge
Learn more about London