London Bridge is the fourth-busiest station in Britain – it’s a central train terminus with connected London Underground station located in Southwark, south-east London.
As the name suggests, it’s situated close to the iconic London Bridge and occupies a three storey structure next to that iconic landmark.
The oldest station in the capital, along with Waterloo it’s one of two major rail termini south of the Thames and handles a staggering 61.3 million passenger entries and exits each year.
London Bridge Station started life in 1836 when the London & Greenwich Railway (LGR) constructed a basic setup with a booking hall, staff offices and two platforms. From humble beginnings, LGR soon realised that serious money could be made because of the new station’s strategic location – other rail firms would pay handsomely to use the line to get into the capital from areas in the south east.
As demand increased, the complex expanded until the 1860s, by which time there were two separate stations on the north and south side of the original site, operated by four different rail operators.
In 1923, Southern Railway took over both buildings and connected them with a connecting footbridge. Subsequently, no further improvements were made until the late 1960s, with the next major redevelopment, which included an integrated bus station, finished in 1978.
Most recently, the Thameslink Programme pumped £1 billion into the largest redevelopment yet, with the present, pristine new station opening in 2018, complete with a huge new concourse, extra platforms and a shopping, retail and food area.
Renting a car at London Bridge Station is east with Enjoy Care Hire, but before you roll out for the rest of your British excursion, make the most of the following amenities, facilities and attractions there:
- Call 03457 48 49 50 for ticket and travel information and 03457 11 41 41 for general station enquiries.
- The station opening hours are 4AM – 1AM Monday to Saturday and 6AM – 1AM on Sundays.
- You’ll find the ticket office on the lower concourse and ticket machines all around the station operated by Southeastern.
- Toilets and baby changing facilities are on the lower concourse through the Western Arcade and ATMs are also on the lower concourse, Opposite Thomas Exchange.
- Food and shopping options in London Bridge Station include Bob’s Lobster, Pizza Pilgrims and Marley’s Coffee & Bakery.
- Top attractions near the station include Tower Bridge, HMS Belfast and The Shard.
Car Hire Operators At London Bridge Station
It’s easy to rent a car at London Bridge Station with Enjoy Car Hire – drop your details and desired dates in our search boxes, hit the button and you’ll soon have a choice of several superb vehicles. Here’s a little more information about what’s on offer:
- London Bridge Station is served by trusted international car hire companies like Alamo and Enterprise, with packages that include features such as 24 hour assistance and theft protection.
- You can choose from a range of vehicles, including popular and economical models like the Ford Focus and Mercedes A-Class.
Enjoy Car Hire makes renting a vehicle at London Bridge Station as simple as possible – grab a great deal today!
Other popular London train stations
- London Kings Cross
- London Streatham
- London Waterloo
- London Liverpool Street
- London Paddington
- London Victoria
- London Kennington
- London Euston
- London Bridge
Learn more about London