Funchal is the capital city of Madeira Island and is the largest within the Madeira region.
It is the most populous city outside of mainland Portugal with around 150,000 inhabitants. It has become a modern, cosmopolitan city with many bars, parks, and shops situated throughout the busy center.
The best way to explore is cheap car hire in Funchal.
Why Should you book a car hire in Funchal
- Madeira recently completed dual carriage motorway with many tunnels that lead from one end of the island to another
- Madeira has many newly asphalted roads as well
- Madeira has many beautiful spots. There is no better way to explore the panoramic views and the island
- You will see and experience more being mobile and on your own schedule.
- Funchal is an excellent starting point for exploration of what is a natural shaped geographic bowl, where slopes beginning at the harbor rise over 1000 meters
- Madeiran drivers are used to tourists. They are friendly and courteous.
- The Madeira archipelago is a home of three wonderful golf courses.
- Cheap car hire in Funchal makes your life easier so you can enjoy a stress-free holiday
Best beaches from Funchal
Praia Formosa is the largest free public beach on Madeira. Partly sandy, but also pebble beach offers an excellent water quality.
And it is close. Just west of Funchal.
It would be a shame to stick just to this one though. Some of the best Madeira beaches, like Ponta do Sol, Reis Magos or Jardim do Mar are not that close by. So some form of transportation is needed.
You can not leave the island without seeing one of the botanical gardens. Just 5 minutes car ride from the center of Funchal, there is a Boa Vista Orchids.
It is colorful, peaceful, known also for one of the last walled stairs terracings. High above Funchal is another, Jardim Botânico.
There are great views of the area along with the many exotic plants and trees collected in this wonderful garden. Easy to reach with Funchal car rental.
One of the best known is Ponta de Sao Lourenco. The scenery is fascinating and although often windy, it gives a sense of a brute force of a nature that has been shaping this coastal area for centuries. It is easily accessible by car.
How to get to Pico do Arieiro from Funchal
Another place to visit from Funchal is not down at the ocean but almost above the clouds. Pico do Arieiro (1818) is a fascinating place with fantastic views.
You can drive right up to the base of it. Follow any of the three roads leading from Funchal
Should take you a good 30 minutes, but there is a parking place just below the peak, and if you are in a good shape and feel like walking, Pico do Arieiro is a good starting point to hike to Pico Ruivo, the highest of them all, or any other neighboring peak.
What about a car rental Funchal airport?
Many people opt for airport hire in Funchal. Enjoy Car Hire makes car hire in Funchal easy. You’ll find airport car hire in Funchal efficient, our payment and pick-up procedure is friendly and quick and all liabilities are explained upfront e.g. insurance excesses.
When booked in advance your car our partners will be waiting for you when you arrive, making airport car hire in Funchal the simple and affordable option.
Read more About Enjoy Car Hire, pricing, and payment, car rental insurance, travel extras and promo codes.
Also, check out more about